Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The start of a new routine

Weather in Houston is nice with a much milder temperature than most places considering that its just another month to winter. Average day temperature 18-23 degrees celsius in the day. Louis and I could pretty much walk around in short-sleeves or with a light jacket at night.

Unfortunately, I can't say that I enjoy the food so far. Other than fast food, which was dry and deep-fried, it hasn't been appetising to eat mainstream American food. On Sunday night, Louis and I went grocery shopping in this chinatown supermarket called Hong Kong Supermart and Krogers. We went to the chinese supermart for more localised ingredients. After my tentative foray into the American food scene, I've decided it was healthier to cook and eat at home, with the side benefit that its more economical for the both of us, of course.

I planned to make prawn noodle soup and chicken congee for the early part of the week. So, we could get some of the more specialised ingredients from the chinese supermarket. The supermarket reminded me of Paris Chinatown. While there were lots of chinese cooking ingredients, I see a lot of Thai, Vietnamese and Laotian cooking ingredients too.

Perhaps its because of jetlag, but I haven't been sleeping nor eating well... hopefully things will get better as the body adjusts to a different timezone and temperature. My night routine is a little wacky, what with me sleeping and waking up every 2-3 hours either to snack (becos I'm hungry) or just for no reason. Its nice to be back in the hotel becos I could read a book, surf the Internet or chat online whenever I can't sleep.

Tonight, we're cooking sphaghetti bolognaise, with salad on the side and *Slurp* artichokes!!! I've not had artichokes for the longest time and I hope they turn out fleshy and good. It would be yummy going with the Japanese salad sauce that Louis had lugged along from Singapore.

If there is time tonight, Louis might drop me at Galleria, the largest shopping mall in Houston for some much needed shopping for more maternity clothes. I only brought along a few tops and 4 bottoms. I've done some preliminary surfing on the web and zero in on 2 outlets for my spending spree; Gap Maternity and A Pea in a Pod.

This Wed, we are planning to head for Dallas, a 5-hour drive to visit Julia and Colin for Thanksgiving.

The little family

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers