Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Big America

Since starting my own blog, I've gotten 3 other friends and family to set up their own blog site too. Each of which are in various stages of progress. I'm glad that there's some positive rippling effects. Really, its a good and unintrusive way to keep track of updates and developments of closer friends and families.

Now that I've been in the US for nearly 2 weeks, there's something consistent that I have observed. Its that in the US, everything is B-I-G. Yep! During the first few days of my arrival, I was kinda shocked by how big everything was. So, here's my observation on what I have deemed to be BIG in the US:

1) Houston airport was huge: I had to walk a long long way from my arrival gate all the way to customs and the luggage carousel.

2) Cars are bigger here: There's really a lot of SUVs, trucks and MPVs around. In fact, Louis was telling me that some 60% of the car population here are made up of cars of these sizes. In tandem, the roads and parking lots are bigger too.

3) Servings are huge: Most mainstream American thoroughfare were served in huge portions. The pro is that Louis and I could just order and share a salad plus a main for meals. The con is that we can't order too much, so variety is kinda curtailed becos most times, as a friend was fond of saying, our eyes are bigger than our stomach :) I sometimes develop the craving for junk food like chips and while there are so many variety of Lays' chips, they all come in huge packaging. Its hard to find those small, 1-person size bags that allows me to indulge in my cravings but not eat too much junk at a go.

4) People are Big-ger: By that, I mean that there are a number of Americans that are horizontally challenged, to be politically correct. At times, I question which came first, the size or the appetite. Are they the size they are becos of the serving portions or that the serving portions had to meet their requirements?? Just on Sunday, Louis and I were having dim sum at a chinese restaurant and there was this American family of 4 next to us; Papa-bear, Mama-bear, Teenage boy-bear and Young girl-bear. I could swear to you that I saw Young girl-bear having 3 full rice bowl servings of rice (drizzled with lots of soya sauce), along with dishes, some amount dim sum and horrors of horrors... hor-fun along with all the carbo that she had already ingested. The same could be said of Teenage boy-bear who was devouring his rice and food with obvious gusto.

5) Big on hospitality: I don't think they are pretending to be nice, but generally, most Americans are geniunely warm and friendly. This was quite a contrast to the more reserved and aloof Europeans that we were used to. People would greet you in the lift, service staff would ask you how was your day and retail staff seemed to be willing to go the extra mile to ensure your shopping needs are well-taken care off. Another manifestation of this open hospitality was during Thanksgiving dinner at Julia's friend, Rebecca's place. She warmly welcomed us into her home and treated us as friends even though it was the first time we met her.

6) Buildings are gigantic: The malls, shopping centres, supermarkets, houses, parks, billboards, highways are all huge. For an ex-shopaholic like moi, my legs would cramp from all the walkings in the malls. Now that's a first for me!

That said, there are a number of things that I do like a lot about the US. I enjoy the fact that diners and restaurants are opened till late at night, with some all-nighters too. Supermarkets are opened till 9 or 10 pm or even 24-hours so you can do your grocery shopping anytimes, although fresh meat might be limited or gone if you're there too late. I like the fact that nearly all the toilets everywhere are clean and dry. While I could also go crazy shopping physically at the malls, online shopping is just as convenient since I'm here for a fair amount of time. The fact that I could buy anything online and return them easily if they don't fit triggers thoughts of impulse online shopping. But no worries, I've yet to purchase anything online. Yet :)

I'm thankful for all the experiences and different cultural values that I get to know firsthand through all my travels and stays. Its not something that the average person would get to go through in their lifetime. For that, Louis and I count our blessings. And we do so look forward to the day that Baby would arrive, so that we could bring him/her out with us; to share, point out and learn from all in life's journey.

No comments:

The little family

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers