Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Downside and Upside of Pregnancy

Today is a day for griping. Why? Because I've got nothing better to do in the hotel room and I've decided to take it easy for the day and not do much. So, what better time to gripe, right? Right! ;) For those of you groaning away, well... this is *MY* blog after all!

The gripe session for today focuses on the many "forbidden" food during pregnancy that I didn't know I wasn't supposed to eat, or that restrain would require so much determination or self-discipline. For some people, this might sound like trivial griping but for one who loves her food and the process of cooking, I've got some serious gripe to let loose. Consider it an outlet for me as a side perk to pregnancy.

Pre-pregnancy, I was deluded by those many books to think that pregnancy is a wonderful and enriching experience, you would glow with radiance and have plenty of food to choose from that would nourish yourself and the baby... blah blah blah. Lies lies lies! They are all nothing but a pack of lies! Before some of you jump to conclusion, let me declare that this posting is not a manifestation of my resentment of the baby growing in me nor the lifestyle change that Louis and I would have to go through. We've rationalised it a while ago and have decided to take the plunge afterall.

Alright, so here's my personal gripe list of forbidden food during pregnancy, some of which are proven scientifically, while others might just be old wives' tales:

Gripe #1: Can't eat shark meat, swordfish and marlin -- The first thought that popped into my dear hubby's mind when my gynae told me to avoid these 3 types of fishes due to their high mercury content was that I can't eat sharks' fin soup at so-and-so's wedding in Nov. And that was in May that we discovered that I was pregnant. For one who had loved sharks fin soup since I was a kid, that was my first encounter with "forbidden" food. Depending on how far one wants to go with avoiding food that may carry certain risks, some would advocate not eating tuna either. Sigh... and they say that fish is good for you, which just goes to show that not all fishes, like humans, are created equal.

Gripe #2: No sashimi -- This restriction has made going to Japanese restaurants a damper. But given that its scientifically proven to endangeer baby's well-being and that I was aware of this restriction prior, I couldn't really take issue with this.

Gripe #3: No raw nor half-boiled eggs -- Again, I do like my half-boil eggs now and then. Not a big deal. But don't you ever get that feeling that forbidden food is always most tempting? This restriction has made going to Ya Kun another damper becos other than half-boiled eggs, moi does not like the kaya toast that most seem to favour.

Gripe #4: No alcohol -- Again, this is one of those truth that alcohol consumption would cause fetal deformity or even stillborn. I'm not alcoholic although I enjoy the occassional drink especially at gatherings. I do sneak in a sip or two at times at times when I can't resist, although when I do, well-meaning friends and families tend to get a little worked up about my lack of determination. Sigh...

Gripe #5: Limit caffeine intake -- Caffeine can be not found only in items like coffee, tea and colas only. In fact, they can be found even in chocolates although in lesser amount. I normally do not have a problem with that as I'm not a coffee drinker. But, I've suddenly developed a taste for coffee, tea and colas during pregnancy. And sometimes, I do exceed my 1-2 cups intake for the day. As if pregnancy itself was not a nerve-wracking experience, I have to cope with many a guilt-trip for exceeding my daily quotent of caffeine intake.

Gripe #6: No pineapples -- I do not know where did this came from. Most probably an old wives' tale or that some would say that pineapple has "cooling" effects. All I know is that some believe that eating pineapples near to your period would induce early monthly menstration. However, baby seems to have a mind of its own in terms of food preferences. Again, I had cravings (not serious but I couldn't walk past fruit stalls selling pineapple and be able to resist eating a slice) pineapple especially during my 1st trimester. Of course, some friends and family would again caution me. Having had the foresight to check with my gynae on pineapple consumption, I was cleared to eat them moderately ;)

Gripe #7: No unpasteurised soft cheese -- Refraining from cheese during the 1st trimester was easy as I seemed to be turned off by the thought of it. Interestingly, I do love my cheese. In fact, I'm always near the cheese board at gatherings where wine and cheese are laid out. Starting from my 2nd trimester, my love for cheese returned, only to be dowsed with a cold bucket of water that unpasteurised cheese has risk of listeria infection which could be detrimental to baby (Gasp: might result in miscarriage or stillborns). There goes any plan I had about smearing those nice lovely gooey brie or camembert on crusty french breads in Paris during my vacation. Karen, I'm going to hold you to your promise about eating cheese with "attas" bread after delivery.

Gripe #8: Avoid eating squid, octopus and crabs --This is pure old wives' tales! I was told that eating such items may result in a baby that has tendency to reach his/her hands and touch things in sight. I'll pick and fight my battles for what I want to eat during pregnancy but this isn't one of them.

I concede, there are some perks to pregnancy and IMHO, the best is one where I get priority over what cuisine or dishes I would like at meal times. Just in case, let me confess that this is not one card that I use often but it does come in handy on rare occassions. Although I must say that baby has been good so far, becos I do not get serious cravings for a particular dish or item that I would send my hubby out in the middle of the night to some obscure place to procure. In fact, baby is contented with simple hawker, food court or home-cooked food.

The second is of course eating double-boiled bird's nest regularly that my mom prepares. Slurp! Since I'm out with Louis in Houston, my mom has bought me a box of bird's nest so that I can continue to double-boil and ingest them during my 2 months here. Speaking of which, I've got to go soak me some bird's nest to double-boil for tonight.

And if you're asking what's the perk for the soon-to-be-father, apart from treating me like a royalty and giving me nightly back rubs for my aching back? Well... he gets to share my bird's nest soup along with baby and me ;)

Adios for now!

No comments:

The little family

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers