On the one night this week when I could actually make use of the camera that I usually carry in my bag, I left it charging on the side table in the hotel room *smack forehead*. So, I was really mentally kicking myself when we were at the Rioja restaurant last night.
Rioja is a Spanish tapas restaurant that is supposedly famed for its delicious Valencia paella in Houston. Hmmm... let's put it this way... I've not tasted good paellas outside of Spain or France. But I do like the environment and the clientele in Rioja last night.
We ordered 2 tapas dishes; calamari and croquetas de jamon (ham croquettes) along with a 2-person serving of the paella. The tapas was alright, although I think nobody does tapas the way the Spanish do.
What I loved about Rioja was the patio sitting and Mexican live band that was playing. It was a 3-men band playing and the music reminded me so much of the times in Spain and our year in France. And towards the end of our dinner, a guy from the table next to us got up to salsa and twirl around with one of his companions and 2 of the waitresses. There was so much spontaneity and joy in their dancing that it reminded Louis and me of our Spanish and Latin American friends. Watching them twirl and salsa, I told Louis that we will one day pick up salsa dancing. I'm not sure where and how are we going to find the time to do it. But we will. One day.
Unfortunately, with my reduced stomach size, I overate and ended up prostrate on the bed for the rest of the night due to indigestion. Sigh...


No comments:
Post a Comment