Wednesday, December 27, 2006

France Gastronomy Tour

Two years ago, when Eve and I were in INSEAD, we spent three days across the channel in London. In all three days, we did little or no sightseeing. Instead, we spent most of our time trying the good food that London had to offer; all the dim sums and briyanis that France – Fontainebleau or Paris had deprived us of.

Two years later, today, we are back in France and the tables are turned. The only planned itinerary we have in Paris and Fontainebleu are the restaurants we would visit. If only there was more than just lunch and dinner in a day. (Breakfast is too early to wake up for, no matter which country we’re in).

Our first stop after getting off the Eurostar was LaDuree. This was a classic favourite with the INSEAD spouses. Situated in Le Printemps, La Duree has the best macaroons that we know of in the world. In fact, the macaroons in Lenotre in Bangkok come a far second; and the ones in Bakerz Inn, an even farther third (we don’t know of any other stores in Singapore selling macaroons). The macaroons did not disappoint – it was as good as we last remembered it.

For dinner, we had Le Procope. This was a restaurant that Constance (an ex-IDA colleague) and I visited three years ago when I came to Paris to make a presentation on Mobile Commerce. Three years ago, I remembered distinctly how I loved the food. Two years ago, in fact, when Eve and I were on honeymoon here, we tried to come here, but it was fully booked. This time round, the place was available, but alas, the food standard has gone drastically downhill. Either that, or I’ve become slightly more discerning about how good French food can really taste. I think it’s probably a little of both.

On our list tomorrow – a lunch at Au Chien qui Fume – a French restaurant that my dear INSEAD French friend Amir, brought us as a celebration dinner in 2005. For dinner, a raclette place because Eve insists that I get to eat raclette. In Fontainebleau, it will be the Bretagne crepes at Ty-Koz, the paella at Carrefour, the baguette au levin & chausomme aux pommes at the boulongerie near the Marche, perhaps tea at the Salon de The and a dinner at Barbizon.

Food aside, we did our tourist round – this time of Eiffel Tower. Eve knew about how the flashing lights came on, on the hour, and we managed to snap really nice pictures of the Eiffel at 11pm, with the tower fully lighted up. We had a few nice people from the crowd help us take pictures of the two of us. But unfortunately, both pictures don’t show the Eiffel top.

No comments:

The little family

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers