Friday, June 29, 2007

Leaving it off or on?

Faith is more than 3 months old and its high time that her mittens come off so that she could learn to grab at things. So far, all she's got to show are scratches on the face as she's prone to running her hands all over her face, head and behind the ears. Twice, when her mittens came off at night while she was sleeping, she scratched her face within minutes.

So, back the mittens went on her hand. And now, I've only taken the mittens out for short periods while I'm watching her so that she won't be able to do too much damage to her own face. A few friends have told me to buff her nails, which I tried. But either I'm not buffing it right or her nails are growing really fast, they are still sharp.

At this juncture, I'm rather apprehensive about the next step forward. Should I take out her mittens and let her learn the hard way not to scratch herself or do I continue with the mittens for a while longer? As it is, I noticed that she's not really keen to grab hold of toys or rattles, except for adult fingers. So, if I continue to keep the mittens on, she might not learn to be able to use her hands to grab at things, which she should be around the age of 3-4 months. Hmmm...

4 comments:

evon said...

i think it's time to take it off for her to explore with her fingers. Plus the weather has been very hot recently.
Emma also had her fair share of scratches on her face. If you're really worried, maybe let her wear her mittens when she's sleeping

Louis & Eve said...

Yeah... I agree. I've taken to taking her mittens out as much as possible in the day. There are times when we still put it on e.g. when my mom feeds her with the bottle cos in the midst of her struggle, she might scratch herself or sometimes dig her eyes!!

Anyways, I've also bought baby nail clippers (aunty said they are better than scissors), nail buffer from BodyShop and am going to try applying baby lotion to the tips of the nail to soften them. Hahah... I'm trying everything possible ;)

jean said...

Oh dear Eve, my darling Grace till now still scratched her face with her long nails. I cut and it grow so fast... got to check their nails 2 days after cut.. if long, got to cut again :)

Buffing it is good. I never thought of this tho. Thanks for reminding.

jean said...

Oh dear Eve, my darling Grace till now still scratched her face with her long nails. I cut and it grow so fast... got to check their nails 2 days after cut.. if long, got to cut again :)

Buffing it is good. I never thought of this tho. Thanks for reminding.

The little family

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers