Friday, June 08, 2007

Green Tea Creme Brulee

There are 2 green tea desserts that I love; green tea creme brulee and green tea tiramisu. Surprisingly, I had both while overseas, although not in Japan. I tasted my first green tea creme brulee at the Saffron restaurant of Banyan Tree Bintan. The green tea tiramisu was served at Satsumi restaurant at Wardour Street in London.

What I liked about the green tea tiramisu, which makes it very different from the other green tea tiramisu that I've tried is that the mascarpone portion of the dessert was flavoured with green tea while the sponge finger layer still retained the usual coffee liquer taste. It was yummy! The online recipes that I've found for green tea tiramisu were different in that they substitute the coffee liquer soaked sponge fingers for green tea instead.

I've decided to try to recreate these 2 desserts at home, starting with the green tea creme brulee becos it was the easiest. Here's a peek at the finished product fresh out from the oven. Its yet to be caramelised though.


The verdict??

Hmmm... there was a hint of green tea, but a very faint one at that. Perhaps its becos I was using green tea powder and did not use enough of it to bring out the flavor or I should have let it steep longer. Alternatively, I could use green tea leaves, which might give greater flavor. All the same, it still taste good.

No comments:

The little family

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers