Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The protective father


Is it normal for most couples to argue, bicker and quarrel over the responsibilities of parenthood, the kids themselves or the different styles of parenting? Something along the lines of say...once every 2-3 weeks? I sure hope so, or otherwise, it would appear that that we' the odd ones out in this parenthood thingy.

Sure, the two of us have our usual arguments and quarrels though we make up quite quickly. Our wedding preparations was a breeze, as we had the same ideas and perspectives on how we wanted our wedding to be. Maybe its becos we were straddling between this honeymoon stage of couple hood and impending marriage. Hence, we were both more accommodating of each other.

Choosing the right home and agreeing on the styles of how we envisioned our ideal home to turn out became a surprise to us becos we started to have differences in opinions. Each of us wanted to preserve our preferred themes, style, furnishings and fixtures in what would become our cosy little haven. Eventually, we managed to strike an amicable compromise without going at each other's throat.

Parenthood, however, presents a different ball game. Of course I'm not surprised that we would bicker. On the whole, we share very similar views about the upbringing of our child(ren) and the values we hope to be able to inculcate in them. So far so good, yeah? Well, that represents just about all that we agree upon. The finer line on the day to day nitty-gritty details seem to be where we choose to "pick our fights" :)

Hahaha... anyways, this wasn't meant to be a serious post, neither are we both encountering any grave discord between us. Its just a wondering-aloud type of post :)

A case in point to illustrate our "differences" in parenting style is the picture above. Maybe Louis is more warm-blooded than I am, but I'm always feeling warm, or glowing (read perspiring -- I believe that women do not sweat or perspire, that's for animals and men ;) we glow ;)) from the humidity of Singapore's weather. I loved going out in the cold when its winter (but am not insane enough to enjoy blizzards).

Thus, I'm always of the opinion that Faith would feel warm whenever I feel that way. Whereas, Louis is of another opinion. We usually require a 3rd person's opinion to confirm which of us is right. So that we can decide whether Faith should wear a jacket or not ;)

I was feeling just right yesterday night, but Louis felt it was a little chilly in the house. Since I was washing the plates and stuck at the kitchen sink, he took the liberty of grabbing a blanket and wrapping our little baby in it :) Hahaha...

I like to think I'm right most of the time. And I take pride in telling him so, especially when shortly after, Faith's hair was all drenched in golden dew (read sweat), and her back was a little clammy, while she was nursing for her bedtime feed ;)

No comments:

The little family

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers