
Its a slow week for posting despite my resolve to blog more about Faith. Unfortunately, my mom hasn't been feeling too well. She thinks its rheumatism and its affecting her lower back, causing her some pain when she walks. My mom insisted on making the daily trip to my house even though I repeatedly told her to stay at home and rest. Said she would go crazy cooped up at home and besides, the trip here will give her some much needed exercise and therapy for her rheumatism.
To ensure that she doesn't over strain herself, I've been taking Faith out after her lunch this week. We would usually take a slow stroll to AMK Hub, spending some two hours there before we head home for her to nurse and take an afternoon nap. While at the supermarket today, I decided to buy some ingredients to make some Indian food.
I've cooked a number of recipes from Vicky Bhogal's "A Year of Cooking Like Mummyji", all of them turning out great. Louis has been enthusiastic about the dishes that I've churned out thus far and today's Cashew & Prawn Rice was no exception. Vicky is a 2nd generation Punjabi, born and raised in London.
While my picture of the rice does not do justice to it, rest assured that its a simple dish to whip up in a very short time, yet scrumptious enough to guarantee that you will want to repeat the effort over and over again.
In fact, Louis loved it so much that he's declared that we should cook this the next time we have a dinner gathering :) I've accompanied it with a cabbage and moong dal dish to make it a wholesome meal. Unfortunately, NTUC ran out of curry leaves, so the cabbage and moong dal seemed to lack something at the end of it.
Cashew & Prawn Rice
Serves 2
Ingredients:
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 onion, sliced thinly
250g cooked and peeled prawns
2 tomatoes, diced
handful of chopped coriander
1/2 cup cashew nuts
1/2 tsp dried red chilli flakes
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 cup basmati rice, rinsed with cold water
1 cup water
Method:
1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
2. When sizzling, add the onion and fry until translucent.
3. Add the prawns, tomatoes, coriander, cashews, chilli, salt and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
4. Add the rice and stir-fry for a further 30 seconds.
5. Add the water and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to very low, cover and steam for 15 minutes.
Hmmm... just typing this makes me wanna cook this again for tomorrow night. Hahaha... I wouldn't although its really tempting :)
Bon appetit!


No comments:
Post a Comment