Sunday, July 08, 2007

Rock-a-my-baby... in the sarong

My friend, E is a terrible person - she's a bad influence on this newly minted SAHM :) After just one visit to her home, I've ended up buying 2 items over the weekend; an automated sarong and a new mobile phone.

Alright, alright... before I start losing friends left right and centre, I have to declare that its not her fault. Au contraire, I really have her to thank for. She and her hubby have been telling us about the automated rocking sarong for the longest time when they knew that Faith has problems sleeping in the afternoons. Louis and I were adamant that we didn't want to have too many gadgets or props to help Faith sleep as it would mean one item more to have lug along if we travel with her. Or so we thought.

And so, for the past few months, Faith has to be held and rocked to sleep while cradled in someone's arms or placed in her stroller and rolled along to sleep for two mere 1/2 hour slots every afternoon. When I was at E's place, Faith was rocked to sleep by the up-down motions of the sarong and managed to fall asleep in it for a good 45 mins -- I suspected that it could be longer as we switched off the automated rocking so that she would slowly rouse herself from her sleep for her next feeding. Louis' lightning response when I messaged him about this "new wonderment" that lulled his daughter to sleep peacefully was that we go get it ourselves. Just goes to show you how often you're made to eat your own words after a kid comes along in your life ;)

As for my 2nd purchase, I have to say that I'm very very pleased it with. Its the Nokia E65 phone. In my opinion, the killer-app is the WLAN. See... when I'm breastfeeding Faith, I'm mostly twiddling my thumbs in boredom in her room. Its a bit hard to lug my laptop from the study room and surf the net while cradling her in one arm. With the WLAN capabilities, I can now check my emails and surf the numerous blog sites easily. For a tiny device, the loading capabilities and GUI is pretty fast and good.

All in, the visit to E's place yielded me with 2 wonderful purchases that I'm still congratulating myself on. While she has generously invited me back to visit again, I'm rather fearful to go... no telling what other purchases I would end up buying the next time I do a "trial-test" at her place ;) Our once minimalistic house is really piling up with all sorts of equipments and furnishings.

2 comments:

evon said...

Hey, i only recommend the best stuff to you :P
Let me go see what else to tempt you with. Hmm... maybe when Faith is a little older, the ergo carrier? The play yard? What about bumper mat for her to crawl on? The exersaucer? The jumperoo? Or maybe places to buy all the pretty dresses? Ok, i better stop before Louis ban me from talking to you.

Seriously, i'm glad that the sarong works for Faith. Just like you, i resisted the idea of letting Joshua sleep in it till my parents, who can't bear to see me not being able to eat my meals in peace or have any rest, carted one to my place. We were have not looked back since :)

oh yes, go to www.pfingo.com to register for a free trial to use internet tel (free local calls). You can also IM while feeding Faith.

Louis & Eve said...

Hahaha... have yet to try out pfingo. Today, she slept quite long in the sarong. No where near 2 hours of course, but close to 1 hour. That's good enough for us :)

The little family

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers