Wednesday, July 18, 2007

No more bottle milk!

Faith dislike of bottles isn't anything new. But hunger strike is. Its as if Faith has had it with us giving her the bottle and she's decided to put her little foot down once and for all. She decides to go on a hunger strike for the times that we feed her bottle. We can't get her to drink past 20-30 ml for the last few days.

In dispair and worrying that Faith would go hungry, my mom and even my MIL have caved in and asked that I breastfeed her. This was even though both had earlier felt the need to bottle feed Faith as they were worried that she wouldn't take to the bottle in the future if she was exclusively breastfed.

And so it is that I'm now feeding Faith. There would be some logistic constraints over the weekends when she goes over to my MIL's place in the afternoons, or that it would be hard for anyone to have to look after her for prolong period of time as she wouldn't drink much from the bottle otherwise. In this instance, Faith is too smart for her own good -- or is it for ours?? I guess those would be times when she would go a little hungry. But over the months, I've read enough and learn from my little one that she would drink if she's really hungry. Otherwise, she would rather skip one or two bottle feeds and wait for the "real thing".

I hope this would mean that apart from the fact that my baby is smart, she would also be a discerning gourmet in the future :)

3 comments:

Aces Family said...

Yo Eve,

Good things that you are at SAHM, otherwise, you will feel stressed at work.. : )

astee

Louis & Eve said...

Actually, I sometimes think that if I was working, she would adjust to bottles faster. Reason? Cos she wouldn't have that much choice and the intervals between the times that I would be able to breastfeed her (i.e. mornings and nights) would be long enough and she would be hungry enough to drink from the bottle.

I think if she's given only bottle for a 24-48 time period only, she would eventually cave in and take them meekly. But I can't bear to do it to her ;)

jean said...

HI Eve, I was just about to comment that if you were to wait longer, maybe Faith would takes the bottle?? Does Faith cry if you give her bottle? You mentioned that she doesn't want milk after 20-30ml, does she cry??

I remember those days when Grace also did the same, after about 40-60ml, she drank so slowly that I almost gave up. Thank God that I didnt and persisted on. She can take 1hr to finish her milk. I have even tried splitting the milk up 60ml each time. Meaning if she is supposed to drink 120ml per feed. I would feed her 60ml first then wait for maybe 30mins to 1 hr and fed her another 60ml. I know this is troublesome but this is another way to let Faith get use to bottle and she takes in what she needs.

Don't be too strees ya. Take care.

The little family

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers