Saturday, July 05, 2008

Trip preparation

Even though its been said that there's not much difference in packing for a 3-day trip versus a 3-week trip, for me, I feel that there's a difference. At least there are when you're packing for trip with a toddler.

Part of the reason is that we have learned from our past trip experiences with Faith, especially now that she's a toddler and more aware of her environment. Hence, it is only natural that when we travel, she tends to be more clingy and fussy becos her familiar care-takers, surroundings, toys and play areas are no longer the same.

For short holiday trips, there's just no point for us to bring most of her toys along. So, we tend to take things that are easier to bring along, which usually tend to be a block toy or 2 and mainly books. Now that we are going for a 3-week trip, it definitely warrants us to bring along more of her toys that she plays with regularly, as well as her favourite sets of DVDs/VCDs of Barney and Sesame Street. No doubt, I ought to be flayed alive for letting her watch too many DVDs/VCDs at such a tender age, but what can I say? I'm no perfect mum and am the one with her 24x7 for the next 3 weeks in a totally different environment...

Still, even though it feels like we are packing nearly half our house into 2 luggage and maybe another cabin-size one, there are some pros to packing for a long trip. For one, I don't have to lug along all X days worth of diapers (plus a few extras for emergencies), as well as worrying about what non-perishable, yet tasty and nutritious food fto bring for the entire duration. I pack just enough to last me for a couple of days. We plan to hit the supermarket(s) the next day after we arrive.

Nonetheless, our 2 luggages are being filled to the brim with lots of clothes, mini kitchen, toiletries (Faith's mostly) and what-nots though. Even though its summer, we're heading towards London and the current temperature is about 12C-22C. So, I brought along a little of every type of clothes for the cold, hot and in-between type of weather. As always, an extra of everything too. Partly for vanity sake (you don't want to be seen wearing the same few sets of clothes all 3 weeks right, do you?) and practical reason.

We're staying in a hotel and in case I don't do laundry everyday or if the clothes don't dry in time, I have [lots of] others :)

Anyways, just for the fun of it, I've taken a picture of her playthings that we intend to bring along for the trip. Just realised that there's another that we forgotten to add in -- her LittleTouch LeapPad, which is missing in the picture. Hmmm... total of 12 items altogether - which is what the cabin-size is for!


Our friend, Manisa, told us not to bring too many things cos we would have an even bigger luggage than when we arrive cos there's a major sale going on in London. I just don't see how we can squeeze in any more things!

No comments:

The little family

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers