Before we came back, I was telling Louis that the jetlag that will hit Faith upon our return isn't going to be easy nor pretty. It isn't and its only been 1 night. I figured that we've got at least another 3 nights or more to endure before her body gets on track and back to Singapore time.
We arrived back in Singapore at 7.50 am yesterday morning. Louis didn't sleep a wink on the nearly 13 hours flight back. I caught about 1 hour's worth of nap cos I only slept about 3 hours the night before. And our dear daughter slept maybe about a total of 3 hours in all. So, you can imagine how exhausted we all were when we reached home.
Becos there was still such a long day ahead for all of us, we took a 2-hour nap after we got home, waking up only at 2 pm.
By evening time, we were zonked out and so it was early to bed for us. Faith went to bed at 8.30 pm and us, at 9 pm.
At 12.15 am, Faith woke up crying. She signed to us with her fingers to her mouth that she wanted milk (yes, she uses the same sign for eating and drinking). I didn't want to nurse her becos I know she wasn't hungry, just that she wanted to latch on and fall asleep. So, I tried cuddling her and pacifying her. She tossed and turn and flipped all over the bed, not able to sleep.
At 1 am, I decided to let her latch on and nurse. After 1/2 hour of latching on, she still didn't want to sleep. Again, I hugged and patted her to no avail. At half past 2 am, she again cried and signed that she wanted to drink more milk. Even though I know that I'm a human pacifier, I decided to let her latch on again. Yet, she still was awake after nearly 45 mins of suckling. By then, I feel like I'm all sucked dry!
I decided not to let her latch on any further, which of cos led her to howl and cry foul. And cried she did for 10-15 minutes. Louis, who woken up earlier at 12-ish when Faith woke hasn't slept since then. Instead, he used the time to check his emails and replied to some.
At 3.30 am, after Faith had cried and howled non-stop for 15 minutes without letting up, he told me that maybe we shouldn't force her to sleep. Especially when we know its the jetlag at work.
By this time, he wasn't the least bit sleep. I wasn't the least bit sleepy. Faith was definitely not sleepy in the least!
Hence, our little family trooped out of the bedroom and decided to watch some TV in the living room. Something that we've never done before with Faith. Ever.
I was feeling a little hungry and was thinking to raid the cupboard to make some instant noodles. Louis said he was feeling hungry too and asked me what do I think about having some McDonalds burger. Mmmm... seems fatty and sinful for the wee hours of the morning, but it sounded absolutely fantastic to me though.
Breaking yet another rule again, the 3 of us headed out of the house and into the car in our jammies to head to the drive-in Mac's and bought 2 McSpicy burgers. As I was downstairs at the carpark, I was surreptitiously looking around to see if anyone was about.
After all, it was 4 am in the morning and an ungodly hour for anyone to be about, what more a toddler. But there we were, and I was half-afraid that someone would pop into my view, scream and point their fingers at me and call me a horrible mom for bringing a toddler out at 4 am in the morning.
In my defence, I've never done this before and I know its the jetlag at work. I could continue to try to force Faith to sleep, but its going to an unpleasant affair for all of us. Plus, we're only making exceptions becos of the jetlag.
Thankfully, other than a little army of people focused on loading, unloading and packing the morning papers for distribution -- which they were too engrossed and busy to look at us -- nobody was about. We made our trip to Macs, got our burgers and made it home uneventfully.
Back home, we chomped hungrily into our burgers. Faith had some water and organic rice crackers to eat too as we all settled into our living room floor to watch TV. After our wee hour breakfast, we headed back to our room to enjoy the air-con and Faith was entertained with her Little LeapTouch toy.
At 5.15 am, afraid that she would be hungry, I made her 125ml of milk, which she downed pretty quickly. Feeling a little sleepy myself by then, I decided to let her latch on and sleep.
This time around, she fell asleep after drinking for about 20 minutes. The time was 5.50 am and we had all been awake for nearly 6 hours.
Louis and I thankfully sink back to bed and fell asleep in mere seconds. I had no idea what time he woke up and went to work. I only hope he would be able to make it to the office and back home safely in one piece today cos I know the jetlag will hit him hard mid-day. He only survived on so little sleep.
As for Faith, she woke up (or rather we woke her up) at close to 1 pm today. We'll just have to see how tonight goes :) *fingers crossed*


No comments:
Post a Comment