After more than a week of runny nose with still lots of thick, gooey, slimy, greenish-yellow goo coming out from her nose, I finally brought Faith to the clinic yesterday. The runny nose and thick mucus showed no signs of abating nor improvement and we're leaving for Phuket on Monday. I knew then that its inevitable... we would have to start her on a course of the much dreaded bad word in my vocabulary -- ANTIBIOTICS :(
After a day of Augmentin and two other new medications (Sinupret & Polaramine), her nose seems better. It doesn't flow freely like a tap anymore and the gooey gunk is much much reduced, even though I can hear her blocked nose at times.
Unfortunately, she has been pooping more and having a little diarrhea too. All a result of her reactions to Augmentin. Today's garbage bag yielded a fully filled and heavily loaded amount of soiled and used diapers. My mom and I were on poop alert since yesterday, ready to change her anytime we discovered any poop or loose stools.
The current strategy that her regular paediatrician and I have agreed upon is to administer the antibiotics at a moderate dosage over 5 days instead of the usual 7, as well as to boost her intake of probiotics from once to twice a day -- we use Reutefene.
So far, her backside's doing alright. It was a little red towards late evening but we managed to catch her loose stools in the nick of time and washed and changed her diaper. Additionally, we're liberally smearing Sudocreme, an antibacterial nappy rash cream, after every nappy change.
Its now the end of Day 2 of the antibiotics course and I'm praying we will all get through the next 3 days without Faith having a raw backside! Please please please...


No comments:
Post a Comment