Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Walking down memory lane

Indeed I was wondering why I don't seem to see my niece at my MIL's place for the last few weeks when we left Faith there. It seemed to be more or less a ritual for a while that on Saturdays and/or Sundays, Anthea would be at her nai-nai's place in the day, watching her favourite VCD flavours of the week or just pottering around with her toys.

Have read the ACES family's blog, it was a little sad to know that she's gotta stay at home until Faith becomes more independent and my in-laws are able to handle a few grandchildren on hand.

Thinking about that brings back memories of just a few years back, when Louis and I were dating and Anthea was the most doted babe in both my SIL and BIL's households as she was the first grandchild on both sides. Then, I eagerly looked forward to every weekend when my MIL would bring her over to stay and ooh-ahhh over each of her growth and development milestones -- when her neck was strong enough for us to carry her upright, being able to flip, sitting upright unaided and doing a dancing gig, crawling and walking.

I remembered too a stage when she would come knocking on our bedroom doors early in the morning to wake us up to play with her -- despite my MIL trying valiantly to distract her not to do so -- or pulling us from our chores or whatever it was that we were doing to sit and watch Barney VCDs with her, clapping, singing and dancing along with her when she sang and danced to Barney's repertoire of songs.

It didn't seemed too long ago and now, she's already in kindergarten and becoming a big zeh-zeh (sister) to Faith.

Now, I see my in-laws doing the same things with Faith that they used to do when Anthea was that a baby. My FIL would be carrying her and walking up and down the house or downstairs whenever Faith fusses or starts screaming/screeching, my MIL laying a mattress on the floor in the living room where everyone would be gathered and we would be playing and be entertained by Faith as she flips back and forth on the mattress.

If we happen to have dinner at my in-laws' place, my elder SIL and BIL would take turns to play or carry her around the house after dinner. My younger BIL's fiancee, Cherry, would be eagerly waiting at the sideline for an opportunity to carry Faith in the hopes that she wouldn't cry while in her arms -- which reminds me of my time with Anthea when I was still Louis' girlfriend and then fiancee too :)

Back when I was single and there's a baby/toddler on hand to play with (and the luxury of returning the kid back to the parents when they cry, poop or become sleepy), I just love the period when kids are below the age of 2. Now that I'm a parent myself, at times, I just wish Faith would quickly grow up and gain some level of independence -- I believe that there's a co-relation between her independence and mine, in fact, a very high co-relation. But more importantly, I think she would have a fun time playing with her other cousins as she gets older :)

No comments:

The little family

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers