Flavours from left to right:- hazelnut macaron with truffle cream & roasted hazelnut, green tea macaron with green tea cream, almond macaron with sesame cream, almond macaron with pistachio cream and brandied cherry, almond macaron with green lime cream and chestnut cream and candied chestnut.I was all of 28 years old when I had my first taste of macarons. In fact, Louis and I have never even heard of them until we were in France and our Japanese neighbours brought a gift of macarons for dessert when we had them over for dinner.
I only knew that they mustn't be cheap, cos the nicely decorated box of macarons came with a little booklet with information about the Patisserie that made them. And that Patisserie, Frederic Cassel, was well-known among the Insead partners to be The Best pastry and sweet shop in the entire ville of Fontainebleau -- I think it could rival some of the better patisseries in Paris too. Its also the one that served champagne to its long queue of waiting customers who were lining all the way out of its store on the eve of Christmas and New Year, waiting to collect their orders of cakes for the festive season (dig that!).
Never underestimate the allure of macarons. You may snub your nose at these little button-like nibblets that seem to anything but innocent and unassuming. Yet, one bite into a well executed confectionery of meringue-like, chewy maracons will start you on your way to a lifelong addiction. You would be reaching your hands into the box and before you know it, all the macarons are gone.
I can't figure out exactly what makes them so enticing. Be it the slightly crisp crust of the macarons as you bite into it, or the chewy interior sandwiched between either a jam or cream centre, that is sometimes accompanied by a little nutty crunch (for the ones with cream centre). Altogether, they certainly make a bewitching combination. Personally, I prefer the cream centres to jams as I find the latter to be a tad too sweet for my taste.
The good macarons can be so delicious have you devouring a load of them before you realised that you've over consume your daily calories. And the mediocre or lousy ones are enough to turn you away with the tasteless and toothache-inducing cookies and bland cream centre that simply lacks the oomph. And I've had my taste of those even in France and in Singapore.
When we first return from Singapore from France, I was extremely excited to see a popular local-chain of cafe, well-known for its French cakes and pastries, offering macarons. However, my first bite into one turned me off and since then, I've never attempt to order them anymore even though I love their cakes and other dessert selections.
My favourite macarons in France is from Laduree. They have an outlet along Champs-Elysee and another on the 2nd floor of Printemps at Boulevard Haussmann in the 9th arrondissemont. I've never been to the one at Champs-Elysee but whenever I make a trip into Paris and if I head towards Boulevard Haussman for my favourite pastime -- which is to window shop and admire all the clothes at Galleries Lafayette and Printemps -- without a doubt, I would find my legs carrying me automatically towards the Laduree outlet. I would buy myself a precious box of 7 macarons and resist the urge to eat those delicious cookies even though I'm itching to do so the entire trip back to Fonty just so that I could share them with Louis at home.
A box of 7 macarons would cost around 8 euros (which costs around S$16). Hence, we considered buying and eating macarons from Laduree to be a real treat back then cos we were a poor student and spouse on a shoe-string budget. Oohhh... but the fun of choosing the 7 flavours from the myraid choices of macarons while the waitress looks on impatiently and with a little imperious air about her. You would be simply spoilt for choice becos other than the 11 staple flavours, they would have seasonal and other special/temporary creation available
After the disappointing order of macarons in Singapore, I had thought that the only opportunity that I would ever have of eating these delicious little cookies would be when we return to France. And then we went to Bangkok 3 times within a year in 2005/6. Amazingly, they had a Lenotre outlet (another chain of French pattiserie) located at the basement of Siam Paragon (I've heard there's another outlet at the new BKK airport but the items are a bit more expensive there). Guess what? We chanced upon a strip box of 5 macarons at 80 Baht (approx S$3.50). These were the cheapest macarons that I've found.
You can imagine too that we would stuff our face with it whenever we were in BKK and bring home more. We once bought back almost 20 boxes of these for souvenirs and gifts. Of course, I'm rather proud that I've managed to convert a few friends to become macaron lovers/addicts after they had their taste of it. I'm biased but these macarons weren't as good as the ones in Laduree and they only had 5 flavours (chocolate, coffee, vanilla, pistachio and strawberry). However, they were the best substitutes in Asia.
That was until we discovered something closer to home... Canele Patisserie Chocolaterie, under the Les Amis group. The macarons by Canele are good (although not as good as Laduree's, IMHO) and now, we could satisfy our macaron cravings anytime -- especially when Louis workplace is right smack where Canele is at Robertson Walk. Best of all, they have a caramel sel flavour which is my absolute favourite when it comes to macarons :)
On Monday, I was reading Chubby Hubby* when he wrote about the Macaron Festival at Canele for the month of October where they were featuring 6 "exotic" flavours of the moment. Certainly we had to try these new flavours! So, I told Louis to go buy them the next day.
A word of caution... I feel that they are a little exorbitant though! The usual macarons costs about $1.80/pc and Louis simply told the girl over the counter that he wanted the macarons on promotion for Oct and headed to pay for it at the counter. He (and I upon hearing it) had a rude shock! It cost S$22 for a box, albeit it was a nicely packaged one.
For such a pricey item, you bet the both of us are savouring every single bite of the macarons. In fact, we had a taste of the sesame and the almond with pistachio cream and brandied cherry. We both prefer the sesame. Tomorrow night, we will try another 2 flavours, and Friday, the last 2. We'll give our verdict then.
I'm now wondering if I should go learn to make my own macarons. In fact, Shermay's Cooking School has been offering classes by Jocelyn Shu (of Kuidaore) which are always full the minute they broadcast it online. CP has recently gone for a class. He once asked me before if I would like to go for a class together with him. At that time, I snubbed him and snobbishly told him that it would be too much of a hassle to make my own macarons. I would rather buy them off the shelf and enjoy them. Now, I'm eating humble pie and begging him to come to my house to make a batch and show me how to do it ;) It just goes to show you never say never. Kekeke....
*Note: Chubby Hubby also wrote that the best macarons in Paris were from Pierre Herme. I've never tried them but you bet I'm going to the next time I am in Paris.


No comments:
Post a Comment