Friday, October 27, 2006

Good and bad of things...


Its been many days since my last posting although I was pleasantly surprised that Louis had since added 2 more postings on his own accord. Unfortunately, the gynae clinic called on Wed to inform me that my blood test for triple screening showed that baby had a higher risk for down syndrome for one of my age. They suggested that I follow up with an Amniocentesis for a more diagnostic confirmation and certainty on the state of baby's well-being.

Although its not a compulsory procedure and my reading indicated a risk ratio of 1:378 versus the norm of 1:782, such news left with great unease and a lot of emotional unrest until I've confirmed the results with a test. Louis and I decided to take the amniocentesis test even though it carried a slight procedural risk of miscarriage. Not knowing was more agonising...

I activated my mom to accompany me for the test the next day. The procedure (based on what I've read as I was too chicken to see the doctor carrying it out) was simple enough:

  1. Doc would do an ultrasound to ascertain location of baby and placenta to ensure that he steers clear of these areas during the procedure,

  2. Thereafter, an antiseptic swipe of the abdominal area was done and a green sheet (with a cut-out hole) was placed in the general vicinity of where the doctor would insert the needle to draw amniotic fluid for further lab test,

  3. Similar to a blood test, Doc would quickly insert the long needle into the uterus and draw about 25 cc of the amniotic fluid,

  4. After the procedure, a quick spray of some more antiseptic around the punctured area and a slap of plaster and the entire procedure was completed in 5 mins. Doc proclaimed the procedure to be successful and showed me the 2 1/2 syringes of clear, slightly yellowish fluid (he actually said it resembled urine, which was quite true). He said that the clear liquid was good because if there was something wrong with the procedure, it might show slight redish tinge due to blood.

  5. I was next allowed to rest for 1/2 hour before going back again to do another ultrasound. The ultrasound was to ascertain baby's heartbeat to ensure that baby was not "traumatised" by the entire event. Doc turned up the volume and I could hear baby's heartbeat for the very first time. It sounded steady and claim.

  6. I was due back in exactly 1 week's time for a post procedural scan just to ensure that all is fine. The express lab test would yield results in 3 days and I'm crossing my fingers that all is right with baby. Baby, you're a survival and you'll be strong! Now, here's a pix of the scan of baby prior to the procedure. Baby looks like he's/she's all dressed up for Halloween next week with the skeletal imprint of his/her head ;)

Post procedure, the stomach just feels a little taut, kinda like the sensation that one experiences on a day with heavy period. But I was told to rest and not move around too much for the next 2 days (was given 2-day MC for Thur & Fri) and to look out for symptoms of watery discharge, spotting, intense abdominal cramps or fever over the next few days.

Mom woke up at 3 am that morning to brew bird's nest for me. I faithfully took that home with me to drink for the evening. Mom's the best!

Perhaps it was after the procedure, but I was all tuckered out. I've napped twice on Thur, each time for about 1 1/2 hrs. Yet, I could still sleep at 11 pm that night and slept soundly all the way until 8-ish am the next day. Nonetheless, I'm sticking to lots of rest and doing it mostly on the bed although the nurse said that I do not have to be bed-bound.

SIL was terribly sweet... she called around late evening to buy me some snack even though she knew that my MIL (mother-in-law) would be popping by with dinner around 7-ish pm. Even though Louis wasn't in town, I'm definitely surrounded by the care and concern of everyone in the family. I would say one thing -- it certainly pays to stay near family... makes it easier for them to pop by and check on you in case of needs or emergencies. And not forgotting of course the few close friends who knew I was going for the amniocentesis and were all encouraging and supportive, a big "Thank You" to all of you!

Now, I know this is a terribly long posting, but given that I've not posted anything for the last few days, I'm entitled to some rambling at this stage :)

Louis has confirmed with the ticketing agent for my round-trip ticket to Houston and also our own personal trip to London/Paris to visit a few close friends from our Insead days. We would be in London/Paris for about 1 1/2 weeks and are planning to stay with friends both in London and Cardiff. It would be so nice to meet them again after we left Fonty in Jul 05 and of course, savouring all the food that we missed. That being said, I'm just excited that I'm finally able to join Louis for 2 months. While we have maintained phone calls and emails, nothing beats being together and the comfort that one draws from just simple acts of hand-holding or hugs.

Oh...and we've made plans too... Julia & Colin, Louis' friends from his Wisconsin days are inviting us over to their place in Dallas for Thanksgiving, the week after I arrive in Houston. And of course, we've made tentative plans earlier to visit Harish (another Insead guy) in Austin, which is a 3-hour drive from Houston. I hope we would be able to sneak in a weekend visit to New Orleans and another place or 2 before I leave. Louis is all excited about showing me all the sights and places of interests that he's recced so far in Houston.

Its 14 more working days till the day I fly off on 17 Nov to meet Louis. I'm counting every day fervently. I know Louis is eager to see me and also note baby's progress. Here's hoping that the weeks will pass quickly and the days will zoom by that 17 Nov would arrive in the wink of an eye :)


No comments:

The little family

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers