Saturday, October 18, 2008

Ramblings in the wee hours of the morning

I've been part lazy and part busy that I've not spent much time logging onto the laptop these days, to talk about having any new post.


Weekends are two days of the week in which I absolutely do not log on unless for rare reasons. I spent them with Louis, having some couple time, run errands, having dinner with families, friends etc.


Weekdays are not any better. To maximise and optimise our time, we'd decided to not jostle with the majority of working Singaporeans in the supermarket doing our weekly grocery shopping on weekends. Instead, I now grocery shop for the entire week every Monday, when the supermarkets are largely empty and I do not have to stand in line in long queues to make payment.


Wednesdays through Fridays, I bring Faith for her classes at LG and JG. Which leaves me with Tuesday afternoons free. Becos I've been a little too liberal charging to my credit card for the last few months, I've been bleeding from the nose paying for my monthly bills come that time of the month.


Thus, I've decided to spend my only free afternoon of the week doing activities that hopefully does not involve money. For the last one month, that involved going to the library next door to borrow books and browse through the cookbooks section. Each time, I can spend up to 3 hours or even more in the library. Imagine that? Three hours spent doing things that I like for FREE.


The good news is that my eyes wouldn't bulge out of its sockets when I next check my credit card bill online. The flip side is that I hardly find much time with all the things that I am doing to turn on my computer. Plus, if I'm not busy with all of the above, I'm either in the kitchen cooking or vegetating in the living room with part of my attention on the TV watching Korean dramas/serials and entertaining and picking up after Faith.


Given the mess she leaves behind each time she enters and leaves any part of the house, I'm starting to think I should nickname her "Hurricane Faith" - toys strewed and splayed out on the floor, DVDs/VCDs thrown every which way, kitchen cabinets opened with contents spilling out etc.

So there you have it! I've finally found time to put up a post at the ungodly hour of 3 AM in the morning becos I'm suffering from my usual insomnia. Instead of staring up blankly at the ceiling or worse, counting sheep, I thought I'll do something useful.

Now that that little bit of update about myself has been said and done, let's move on to my daughter.

Hmmm.... as we all know, Faith's a late walker and a late talker. She's still not doing a lot of talking these days. If she does, its mainly one syllabus words. For the last few weeks, she's slowly but steadily opening up her vocal chords and trying to get herself to pronounce certain words.

Her repertoire of words are yes, no, mama, papa, ye-ye, nai-nai, chest, nose, more, cheers, bye, wah (Singlish which I'm trying to get her to say "wow" instead), toes, nuts (she pronounce it as "nuzz"). Not a lot although she's definitely picking up more each day. Her favourite word is of course "no". That she uses for different purposes and situations.

She was stirring from her sleep just now and as I was entering the room, I could hear her say distinctively: "No-no-no". No idea what she was saying no to though.

In the mornings, as I tussle with her whether or not she should shower or bath in the bathtub, she would grab her bathtub in a dead grip and if I try to wrestle it away from her, she would scream and cry persistently: "No-no-no-no-no...". The reason why I rather shower her than to put her in the bathtub is that nine out of ten times, I would have to haul her wet, slippery body out, struggling not to drop her as she kicks and screams bloody murder for pulling her out of water.

Don't be shocked... I really find it funny and even look forward to the times when she says "no. Her "no" is kinda cute. She wouldn't say it with the curt finality that most toddlers would say it with. Instead, her "No" ends very softly, with her stretching her "o" such that it sounds more like the word "know".

I think she's starting to move on to string more words together. Again this morning while she was in her bathtub, I had left her Barney VCD show running on the TV. She was watching it halfway when I'd told her to go and take a bath. Halfway through her bath, the show ended and the TV switch from DVD/VCD mode to normal TV channel. Faith looked up at me and said "no more".

I was surprised. It was the first time she uttered anything more than one syllabus. Of course, when I asked her to repeat it again, she just smiled at me. At night, as we got ready for her to go to sleep, she said "bye-bye" to Louis when she's only said "bye" so far.

In no time, she'd probably be stringing together words to form proper sentences. And I think I would miss her at this stage. I really love this period when she's not able to speak and enunciate her words properly and that they are mainly monosyllabic.

Sigh...its the usual parental dichotomy that I'm facing. Do I or do I not want my little baby to grow up? Do I want to freeze this particular moment in time when I'm having so much fun with her or let her grow up and amaze me even more with each and every step of her growth and learning?

No comments:

The little family

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers