Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Tagged: Meaning of Faith

Actually, I'm still not very sure how this tagging thing works on the blog. Nonetheless, I've been tagged by my SIL on the meaning of Faith's name. Well... would be good if someone can eventually tell me how this tagging thing works on blogs.

Now back to the meaning of Faith's name. From the onstart, Louis and I wanted the name Sara if our kid turns out to be a girl. The reason? We like the sound of Sara. Actually, we wanted our kid's name to reflect characteristics or certain virtues e.g. wise, kind etc. However, we couldn't find out that we liked with the appropriate meaning. Hence, Sara was the name that we stuck with for the longest time even though we know the meaning for it was Princess. At the back of our minds, we wanted to ensure that the Chinese name for a baby girl would reflect the virtues that we have in mind (wisdom, kindness or filial piety). We were most afraid that our kid would turn out to be some spoilt brat.

Since we didn't know the gender of our baby, Louis and I were ploughing through a Baby's name book that a friend gave to us. While we were supposed to look for an equivalent name for a baby boy, we chanced upon the name, Faith. I told Louis that I've always liked the names, Faith and Grace. In particular, Faith. Flipping through the meaning in the book, this was what we came across:

"Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1 "

Source: Name That Baby

Louis and I rather liked what we read and since then, the name Faith kinda superceded our earlier choice for Sara. So, there you go. That's how we the name for Faith came about (for more on the meanings of Faith, click here to go to an earlier posting). An interesting little story to share too. When we brought Faith for her routine check up one week after her birth, her paedi remarked that the babies whom he had come across with the same name were usually fiesty little things with a temper to boot. Hmmm... he's somewhat right on that score too ;)

No comments:

The little family

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers