Actually, I've discovered that there are many things I should be thankful for or be appreciative of about pregnancy. In my 1st trimester and the better part of the 2nd trimester, I've been grappling about lots of things. On reflection and especially since I've returned back to work after the 2-month break in the US, I've come to realised that indeed, there are quite a number of priviledges associated with pregnancy. Other than some of the physical discomforts from a bigger stomach, really, there's a lot to be grateful about.
Most people that I've met tend to be extremely friendly and considerate towards pregnancy mom-to-bes. Like I was once queuing at the Ikea Alexandra toilet and the woman ahead of me actually offered for me to preceed her to use the next available cubicle. And a couple of times, hawkers would strike up conversations starting with "so, is it a boy or girl that you're expecting?" or "so, you how many months pregnant?". Seemingly, it doesn't sound like a big deal, but when you put together many such nice encounters, it makes you realise that really, the ugly Singaporeans that many people make disparaging remarks do have a good side to them.
Definitely, pregnant moms get priority when it comes to food. Once, I was at the reception level of my office having a meeting and both our office receptionists had some "kuehs" from another colleague. They offered to share their food with me even though I was about to start my meeting and insisted that they would keep a portion for me until my meeting ends. And what great timing it was. Becos I was a little hungry after my meeting and that served as my tea time snack.
While housework becomes daunting with pregnancy, I am externally grateful to my mom and aunt for coming over to my house on a weekly basis to help clean my house and mop the floors. In fact, they have even wiped all the windows and window grills in the house that I don't even have to do any spring cleaning for the coming Chinese New Year!!
Although my small stomach has been a source of concern to me as to whether Baby is growing at the recommended weight range, I'm grateful that I do not have any "love-handles" when seen from the back nor do I waddle much at all. In fact, a number of colleagues have remarked that I've carried my pregnancy pretty well for someone in her last trimester and in fact, there's that glow on my face. Now that certainly is a morale booster, especially when my own vanity gets the better of me at times and I dispair about my pregnant form and the limited [read dowdy] maternaty clothes that I now wear to office.
In the whole scheme of things, and now that I've got another 8 more weeks to go before Baby is supposedly due, I thought that I should show gratitude to the many people who have in one way or another shown me the better side of human nature. So, to all my family, friends, colleagues, bosses and strangers that I have encountered, here's a big "THANK YOU" for the kindness, consideration and support that you've shown :)


No comments:
Post a Comment