Thursday, April 09, 2009

Eczema & anemia

Eczema has always been something that Faith has to content with since young. Her skin requires daily moisturising and I can't get lazy with the application of it or else it would recur. With constant moisturiser after every bath time and at night before she sleeps, we've been able to keep eczema at bay for quite a while until about the time that we brought her out for frequent morning swims.

It was during that period that it flared up in full force, spreading to her usual places like her ears and back of the knees and extending to nearly every part of her body from her arms to her upper thighs. It was so bad that her arms, legs, abdominal and back areas were filled with scratch marks from her incessant scratchings.

Usually for small spots of eczema, we treat it with Desowen for a few days and stop as soon as the eczema is gone due to the steroid content. With the spread of the eczema all over her body, it wasn't feasible to use Desowen, especially for extended usage. I had put her on oral antihistamine as well to aid with the itch.

We went to her PD and she prescribed Physiogel AI, a form of moisturiser that is steroid free. She agreed with me that it wasn't good to apply too much cream with steroid nor give her too much antihistamine.

As we weren't a hundred percent certain that it was just the swimming that was causing her eczema to act up, we decided to also eliminate nuts totally from her diet and watched what she ate.

The Physiogel AI worked wonders. I applied it whenever she started scratching herself. However, it small (50ml) and expensive ($$36/tube). We used it all over her body each and every time she takes a bath and a tube lasts us only slightly more than a week.

I'm not sure if the scratching becomes a habit after a while -- becos she usually doesn't scratch herself unless its really itchy. When I saw that her eczema's gone, I stopped applying Physiogel but continued with her regular moisturiser, applying it as religiously at least 3 times a day. Yet, she started scratching herself again and we had to apply Physiogel on her again. I only apply it to her arms and legs this time, which seemed to be the persistent problem areas.
It is rather distressing to see her scratching herself all the time, seeing her scratch marks marring her baby skin. I felt that there must be a better way to prevent her eczema from recurring over and over again. That got me to start looking at organic and/or natural products, ones without chemicals. I've read that a combination of lavender and chamomile essential oils is good for treating eczema.

For the last week, I've put 2 drops of lavender essential oil (other than eucalyptus, which are the 2 oils I have at home) into her daily bath water. I've also purchased an Avado nappy lotion, which contains mostly plant-derived ingredients and oil. I've used the nappy lotion in place of Physiogel for one application, sometimes, for the entire day, not using the Physiogel at all.

Thus far, results have been small but encouraging. She doesn't scratch as much and the nappy gel seems to work just as well as a replacement for Physiogel. Now, I'm waiting for friends or family to make a trip to Australia. Then, I'll get them to help me top up my essential oils from Jurlique, which is a whole lot cheaper than buying it from CK Tangs :)

Even though the title heading for this post is about eczema and anemia, thank goodness for small favours that Faith is not the one with anemia.

Her papa is the one who always had a little low blood count and is anemic. All his blood tests would invariably show that he's anemic. His latest blood test showed a lower blood count of haemoglobin's. When his doctor was showing us his blood test report, he jokingly remarked that I've not been feeding him well enough.

It may be a joke and he's got a long standing history with anemia, however, he's also recovering from his knee surgery and his health is not quite what it used to be. Even though the doctor prescribed him Sangobion to help with his iron deficiency, my personal preference is to ensure that he gets as much of his dietary requirements through food sources wherever possible.

Hence, I've gone to the chinese medical hall and asked about herbs and soups that are beneficial for him. Two nights ago, I steamed a slice of cod fish (its about the few types of fish that Louis is willing to eat cos he's no fan of fish) and he liked that. Yesterday night, I made "dang gui chicken". I loved it and it reminded me of the dish I used to love during my confinement period. Unfortunately, Louis wasn't a fan of it. He found the smell of herbs too overpowering. Meanwhile, he would be eating lots of spinach and sweet potato leaves as these are high in iron.

I've got some "Ba Zhen Tang" too which I'm planning to boil for him next. It is typically consumed by women to replenish the lost of blood after menstruation, however, the lady at the medical hall said it is alright for him to take that becos of his anemia.

Let's hope my two babies' conditions would improve greatly with my "experiments"!

No comments:

The little family

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers