
Its the time of the year again to herald the start of the lunar new year. Without fail, that means eating yu sheng or having Lo Hei way before the actual day, which is supposed to be on the 7th day of the CNY.
I've been seeing the sale of yu sheng on display at the sushi counter of NTUC. However, bearing in mind that my mom is a vegetarian and she would frown upon any showings of meat/fish and non-vegetarian condiments accompanying them, I had refrained from purchasing any even though I salivate and drool each time.
While at NTUC yesterday, I saw that they were selling ready-shredded carrots and radishes, along with those home DIY yu sheng boxes, that comes prepacked with all the necessary condiments and seasoning.
Hence, I happily loaded a few boxes of shredded carrots and radishes, along with a box of ready-to-go yu sheng condiments. Had a tough time choosing which brand of those ready-to-go boxes becos there were so many different ones, at different prices with just some slight variations here and there. In the end, I went with one of the cheaper ones.
At home, I happily arranged everything on the biggest serving plate that I had, while my mom was standing next to me and laughing at the size of my plate -- she said it was huge! In the end, I had the last laugh becos after piling all the vegetables and condiments together, it was just nice. Thank goodness we laid newspapers on the table, in anticipation of all the "goodies" that would make their way out as we toss the yu sheng sky high.
This year, Faith again joined us, but this time, she's more aware and curious about the big plate of "salad". She aimed and went for the crispy crackers that topped the yu sheng. While we were all trying to use our chopsticks to toss the yu sheng as high as we could go, she was busy trying to dig for those crackers with her chopsticks. Frustrated in the end (cos she doesn't know how to use the chopsticks yet), she just dug in and use her fingers to pinch the crackers from the plate to her mouth :)Our first Lo Hei was a bit dry. It didn't come with any instructions, non any ready-packed oil. We decided to add our own after seeing that the yu sheng was a tad dry after we tossed it well.
This evening, I again went back to NTUC, buying another different brand of yu sheng condiment pack. A mid-range one this time. We'd wise up to remember to add 2 tablespoons of oil on our own before we tossed. Well, why do you know?? We all felt that the cheaper box yesterday had more flavour.
No sweat. I'll buy some more next week. Even though we won't be going out to the restaurant much after Louis' op, I'm going to make up for it by eating as much as we can before his op. Besides, with the home DIY yu sheng kit, its really easy to put it together and definitely much cheaper than if we were to eat it at any restaurants.


No comments:
Post a Comment