
The day has arrived.
We woke up as usual, around 9am. Without fail, upon being fully awaked and somewhat satiated with her morning milk, the first thing that Faith always does is to call out: “Papa...” from where she is on the floor mattress next to our bed. Then, she will somewhat drunkenly stumble around and head towards the side of the bed where her favourite person in the whole wide world is.
This morning, we had to make sure that Louis had his breakfast before 10 am, after which he was supposed to fast for the rest of the time before his operation.
I had a dream on Wed night about his operation, although I couldn’t for the life of me remembered what it was all about on waking. I only vaguely recall that I was looking at the different puncture holes on the sides of his left knee and a longer slash-line just below the knee-cap. Wonder what the dream meant, or is it just a manifestation of my thoughts on his op.
Yesterday, Louis and I went to catch the show “Inkheart”, at the movie theatre. I had recced the cinema ahead of time this week, checking with the staff if they were able to cater for movie-goers on crutches becos the one near to our home has escalators leading from the ticket floor to the movie halls, and more steps exiting at the end of the show. Thankfully, they were quite helpful.
The staff stopped the escalator so that Louis could hop onto the steps. They then turn it back on, stopping almost when we reach the top so that he could slowly hobble out. It was the reverse when we exited the show after the movie. All in, it was an experience for the both of us. At the same time, we know that watching a movie is very plausible, but not on weekends, when there’s a crowd. That would be suicidal and asking for trouble.
As I’m typing this, we’re in the hospital ward, sitting in his room, waiting for the nurses to send him to the operating theatre in another 20-30 min time. I’m sitting in the sofa at the corner of the room that would convert to become a bed at night (which my MIL would be sleeping on), with Louis reading The Straits Time on his bed. Seemingly, all is calm and there is no verbalisation of any jitters from the both of us. But I’ve got butterflies in my stomach since the time I drove him to the hospital.
Much as I would like to be able to stay the night with him, we both recognise that in this, my duty as a mother takes priority. Faith has never been away from me for a single night ever since the time of her birth. Coupled with the fact that she is now down with runny nose, and also salivating constantly since yesterday, its for both our peace of mind that I will go back home to sleep with her tonight. I will stay with Louis and only head home around 8ish pm to put Faith to bed, which probably is the time that my MIL would come over and spend the night with Louis in the room.
Originally, we had made arrangements for my mom to accompany her for her lessons at JG, but becos of her runny nose, we’ve kept her at home – she would missed out on the CNY party that the class is having.
She wasn’t too happy to see that Louis and I left in the afternoon. We didn’t tell her about the hospital and the operation – I think the info would sail over her head. I simply told her that I’m bringing her Papa to see the doctor so that he can get well soon and be able to play, dance and carry her. Again, none of this info calmed her crying. Finally, we told her that mama (my mom) would give her a Yakult if she stayed at home. To which she was of course pacified.
As I’m typing this, the nurses are outside the door, preparing to send him to the operating theatre. I’m praying that the operation and post-op recovery would go on smoothly without any further complications.
Truthfully, its still hard to see my hubby on crutches. Although its been easier since last week’s physiotherapy session when the Doc recommended that he needed to put partial weight on his left leg. However, post-op, he wouldn’t be expected to put weight on his left leg as yet becos the ligaments need time to heal and he would be wearing a brace that would keep his legs straightened.
All this means that he would have to go back to hobbling on one leg, making it very tiring as he has to exert strength to ensure his left leg does not touch the floor. He moves faster hobbling on one leg, but he’s got to rest many times. With partial weight-bearing, he moves a lot slower, but is steadier and its possible to climb up and down a few steps on the stairs.
Still, we’ve got to look on the positive side. With the surgery, it would be that much closer for him to work towards recovery and finally being able to go grocery shopping with me at NTUC that much sooner.
Sometimes in life, the only way to move forward is to look ahead and not back.
We woke up as usual, around 9am. Without fail, upon being fully awaked and somewhat satiated with her morning milk, the first thing that Faith always does is to call out: “Papa...” from where she is on the floor mattress next to our bed. Then, she will somewhat drunkenly stumble around and head towards the side of the bed where her favourite person in the whole wide world is.
This morning, we had to make sure that Louis had his breakfast before 10 am, after which he was supposed to fast for the rest of the time before his operation.
I had a dream on Wed night about his operation, although I couldn’t for the life of me remembered what it was all about on waking. I only vaguely recall that I was looking at the different puncture holes on the sides of his left knee and a longer slash-line just below the knee-cap. Wonder what the dream meant, or is it just a manifestation of my thoughts on his op.
Yesterday, Louis and I went to catch the show “Inkheart”, at the movie theatre. I had recced the cinema ahead of time this week, checking with the staff if they were able to cater for movie-goers on crutches becos the one near to our home has escalators leading from the ticket floor to the movie halls, and more steps exiting at the end of the show. Thankfully, they were quite helpful.
The staff stopped the escalator so that Louis could hop onto the steps. They then turn it back on, stopping almost when we reach the top so that he could slowly hobble out. It was the reverse when we exited the show after the movie. All in, it was an experience for the both of us. At the same time, we know that watching a movie is very plausible, but not on weekends, when there’s a crowd. That would be suicidal and asking for trouble.
As I’m typing this, we’re in the hospital ward, sitting in his room, waiting for the nurses to send him to the operating theatre in another 20-30 min time. I’m sitting in the sofa at the corner of the room that would convert to become a bed at night (which my MIL would be sleeping on), with Louis reading The Straits Time on his bed. Seemingly, all is calm and there is no verbalisation of any jitters from the both of us. But I’ve got butterflies in my stomach since the time I drove him to the hospital.
Much as I would like to be able to stay the night with him, we both recognise that in this, my duty as a mother takes priority. Faith has never been away from me for a single night ever since the time of her birth. Coupled with the fact that she is now down with runny nose, and also salivating constantly since yesterday, its for both our peace of mind that I will go back home to sleep with her tonight. I will stay with Louis and only head home around 8ish pm to put Faith to bed, which probably is the time that my MIL would come over and spend the night with Louis in the room.
Originally, we had made arrangements for my mom to accompany her for her lessons at JG, but becos of her runny nose, we’ve kept her at home – she would missed out on the CNY party that the class is having.
She wasn’t too happy to see that Louis and I left in the afternoon. We didn’t tell her about the hospital and the operation – I think the info would sail over her head. I simply told her that I’m bringing her Papa to see the doctor so that he can get well soon and be able to play, dance and carry her. Again, none of this info calmed her crying. Finally, we told her that mama (my mom) would give her a Yakult if she stayed at home. To which she was of course pacified.
As I’m typing this, the nurses are outside the door, preparing to send him to the operating theatre. I’m praying that the operation and post-op recovery would go on smoothly without any further complications.
Truthfully, its still hard to see my hubby on crutches. Although its been easier since last week’s physiotherapy session when the Doc recommended that he needed to put partial weight on his left leg. However, post-op, he wouldn’t be expected to put weight on his left leg as yet becos the ligaments need time to heal and he would be wearing a brace that would keep his legs straightened.
All this means that he would have to go back to hobbling on one leg, making it very tiring as he has to exert strength to ensure his left leg does not touch the floor. He moves faster hobbling on one leg, but he’s got to rest many times. With partial weight-bearing, he moves a lot slower, but is steadier and its possible to climb up and down a few steps on the stairs.
Still, we’ve got to look on the positive side. With the surgery, it would be that much closer for him to work towards recovery and finally being able to go grocery shopping with me at NTUC that much sooner.
Sometimes in life, the only way to move forward is to look ahead and not back.


No comments:
Post a Comment