Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Sweet gestures everyday

Was told long ago by my ex-beautician that the key to looking for a good husband is one who is sweet and considerate to you everyday, 365 days a year. Forget about the ones who surprise you with big, grand gestures on key dates in a year. I find that to be extremely true and hope to pass this little tidbit of know-how to Faith when she's of a hubby-finding age.

Here's a good reason why...

Since our grand plans to have Faith sleep alone in her own room while we snuggle lovingly together in our own comfy Simmons bed has gone to the dumps, we have "unwillingly" embraced the other spectrum on sleeping arrangements -- co-sleeping. I sleep with Faith on our pull-out Ikea sofa bed (which is starting to creak at certain places), while Louis sleeps on a 2" mattress on the floor next to our sofa-bed.

Along the way, we have more or less fall into an unspoken arrangement where I would be the one to coax and nurse (if necessary) Faith to sleep when she wakes in the middle of the night. And that is no mean feat, let me assure you. Becos my dear daughter to date still refuses, despite many failed attempts and measures, to sleep through the night. I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times she actually manages to sleep through the night and still have leftovers.

Which is why come morning, when my dear hubby rouses from his daily cellphone alarm and stumbles out of the room to take his shower, I'm none the wiser. I'm like a dead log, tired out from the many interruptions to my much needed beauty rest. But just before he heads out of the room, he would always draw the curtains and put a clothes peg in the middle of it to effectively shroud the room in total darkness. Just so that Faith and I could both sleep in longer without the glaring sun shining in onto our faces.

Last night, for the first time, he slept back in our own room. Alone. Cos he was down with a cold and didn't want to spread it to Faith or myself. For one reason or another, when I opened my blurry eyes at around 7-ish in the morning, I saw him dressed in his work clothes, standing next to the bed, pulling the curtains shut and putting the peg in the middle.

Was expecting him to head off to work after his usual morning shower. But he come in and did the same routine that he always did before he left. For Faith and me. That's what I call an everyday sweet gesture. One that is small and simple, yet shows how much he cares for us.

And me? Well... I don't think I remembered to thank him. All I remembered was a mumbled question of "Are you better, darling?". Don't believe I stayed conscious enough to hear his response before I went back to sleeping like a dead log.

3 comments:

therens said...

Well cosine,

You're absolutely right about sweet gestures each day. Such acts of consideration are the building blocks of a strong marriage. So do remember when you've caught up on your sleep to write him a thank you note everynow and then.

Tangent

jean said...

Hi Eve, you have a sweet, considerate and a loving husband. Do remember to give him a hug and a kiss for he deserves it :)

Louis & Eve said...

Tangent: I did say thank you to Louis... in a roundabout way. I blogged about it :)

Jean: Showed him the blog after I posted and he kissed me in appreciation instead. It still counts as me giving him a kiss, huh? Hahaha...

The little family

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers