Faith and I are thoroughly enjoying ourselves at the Little Gym class. One of the important things that kids learn through being at the Little Gym is about building confidence. Yesterday, I learnt something else too about myself. It is that even I myself require confidence too. Confidence and bravado in doing some of those tumble and play activities so that Faith can see me having fun at them and be willing to try some of these activities too.
The typical routine for the class would start with everyone gathered in a circle and the instructor would bring out a box of bells. The kids are encouraged to go forward to the instructor and pick out a bell for themselves from the box. That by itself requires confidence especially in some of the more introverted or reserved kids to be able to walk forward, reach out and take a toy. With bells in their hands, the class would start singing a welcome song, jingling and banging the bells on the floor.
After the song, the kids would put the bells back into the box and the instructor would start sharing about the lesson theme for the day. Last week's lesson was about the importance of giving ample hugs and kisses to children and yesterday's was about nutrition. Then comes the fun stuff, where the instructor would show or demonstrate with some willing kid various tumble and play activities. So far, these activities include doing somersaults, walking with their hands like a wheelbarrow and many others.
What we did yesterday seemed more like an acrobatic stunt to me. It required the parent to sit on the floor with their knees drawn up. You then place your child's back leaning against your propped up shin, with your feet in between at the base of their backside. The child should be looking forward. Putting your two hands on their shoulder, you lower yourself onto the floor, with shin lifted to be parallel to the floor. With a quick flip of your lower legs, you toss the kid up and over your head, with her landing on her hands and knees slightly farther from where your head is.
As I was doing it the first time with Faith, I couldn't help but "hear" the voices of my mom and MIL, wondering if they would be berating me or gasping in shock at what I was about to do. Blame it on the Asian background. But coming from one, I know my parents and my late grandma would always be nagging at me to be careful with children as their bones and all are still fragile and it can be so easy to twist/break/strain their hands/legs/neck/back if you're not careful. Whenever we see the Caucasians tumbling around with their kids or doing dare-devil stunts, we can't help but mumble under our breaths, saying "Aiyoh... crazy Ang Mohs... not afraid to die...".
Despite the slight fear and the possibility of getting my ears blasted off (by my mom) should anything untoward happened, I said a quick prayer as I tossed Faith up and over my head, landing her (thankfully) safe and sound on her knees just above my head.
Upon landing, Faith had this look on her face. Its the one where she is deciding whether she should be laughing in glee at this new act or to scrounge her face up and break into loud wales. Deciding to act fast, I make a big to-do out of clapping my hands, telling her "Wow, Faith! Wasn't that fun?"
And then she smiled... *thank goodness*
That's why I said it require the parents themselves to build confidence in their ability to carry out some these activities and not worry that harm would come to their kids. Truly, I appreciate that every lesson, the instructor would remind the parents not to have any undue expectations of their kids and never to compare what their kids can do vis-a-vis others. Yes, the idea is to expose and let the kids play in a safe and controlled environment. However, if they are fearful or do not want to do any of the activities, don't force them. It just means that they are not ready for it now.
As for Faith, we tried the feat a second time and this time, she happily broke out into delighted laughter. Now, she's confidently flipping somersaults. I just tried it this morning with her and I was surprised when she allowed me to fold her head downwards onto the mattress and flip her over. She was giggling and laughing as she landed softly on her back on the mattress.
Even though it has only been 3 lessons at the Little Gym, I can see that Faith is starting to slowly open up and enjoy herself at class. She's less afraid to reach out for the toys when they are offered to her, she crawls merrily all over the floor of the gym and mostly, she screams loudly and clap her hands in joy. The other stand-by instructor in the class was remarking yesterday that she didn't know Faith had it in her to be able to scream so loudly :)
So yes... my little baby is slowly and steadily building confidence in herself with each Little Gym experience. And this mummy finds great joys in watching all her little accomplishments.
Good job, Faith!


1 comment:
good to see Faith enjoying back-wo-be-do. My two little ones love that too.
Post a Comment